Tuesday, October 17, 2017

BU Quilt Along Week 6

We're getting closer to being able to put our blocks together. This week we are adding triangles to the Half-Square triangles we made last week.




We are using the last black 2 7/8" squares. If you haven't already, cut them once on the diagonal.




Watch placement of the half-square triangle and the black triangle. Sew carefully without stretching. 




Note that I stitched with the half-square triangle on the bottom, this is because the seam allowance on the half square triangle is pressed that way. Now I don't have to worry about my seam allowance getting bunched up or folded over while I stitch.




Press carefully towards the black, again making sure not to stretch.




Line up the second black triangle, note position, and repeat.




This time I stitched with the half-square triangle on top, again making sure my seam allowance won't get folded or bunched up.




Make 120 of these units. 




Next, we are using the white and teal 4 7/8" squares. If you haven't already, cut once on the diagonal.




Lining up your pieces as shown, sew with the pieced triangle on top, so you can keep your point. I pin both corners and the middle to keep the fabric from stretching and moving.




Sew carefully, this part of the unit has biased edges, which means they will stretch. Just go slow, don't pull, and it will work. Press carefully towards the white/teal triangle. You should have 120 units, 60 with white triangles and 60 with teal.




Next week we will be ready to assemble our blocks! Do you have your batting and backing for your Here A Square, There a Square quilt? We will be sandwiching and quilting November 14th!

Share your progress with us in the Quilt and Learn with Pattern By Jen group on Facebook.

Happy Stitching!
Jen


Beginners Unite Quilt Along

October 3 - Flying Geese week 2 
October 10 - Half Square Triangles
October 17 - Corner Units ~ You are here
October 24 - Block Assembly
October 31 - Top Assembly
November 7 - Add borders
November 14 - Quilting and Binding

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.