Tuesday, November 7, 2017

BU Quilt Along Week 9

It's border time baby!




By the end of this week we will have a full quilt top, which when not quilted, is referred to as a flimsy. So exciting to have reached this point.



It's important to measure your quilt to get the correct border measurement. I'll be going over that in this post. It may take a bit longer than just trusting the pattern, but it will keep the wavy border problem away, and we definitely want that!

In this quilt we are adding two borders, an inner and an outer. I mearsure for both of them.




This pattern calls to add the side borders first. To get that measurement I'm going to measure the length of my flimsy in three places. Side. Middle. Side.

I'm using my hard quilting rulers, because those soft measuring tapes can stretch, and I want to know I am as accurate as can be.



When stitching my borders I pin each end, find the middle, pin there and then pin half way between the middle and each end. This keeps my border from shifting or getting stretched, it all makes a difference in how flat your borders lay after you have added them.

When I get those three measurements I add them together and divide by 3, this will give me the average of the three measurements and this is what I'm going to cut my border at.
**Please note: there was a mistake and you will need to cut SEVEN 1 1/2" strips for the inner border, not four**




Once I have stitched and pressed those side inner borders I'm going to measure the width of my flimsy in three places. Side. Middle. Side.  Add them and divide as above and use that measurement.







Once the top and bottom inner borders have been added I  will repeat the process again to get the measurements for the outer borders.




We're done!!! Next week I will go over how I get my quilt ready for quilting on my domestic machine. Thank you so much for joining me on this quilt along!

Happy Stitching!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.