Thursday, August 2, 2018

Border Quilt Interview with Becca



For the weeks leading up to the Quilt Along, which now starts September 12, there will be a quilty interview with bloggers participating in the quilt along. The quilter and the photographer of the Enchanted Forest version will be interviewed as well. You can look for a new interview every Monday and Thursday now until September 10th. Find all the information for the quilt along HERE.




So grab a cup of coffee or a glass of wine depending on the time of day in your area and lets get to know Becca of Pretty Piney Quilts.

PBJ:  Name and business name?

Becca: Becca Fenstermaker, Pretty Piney Quilts

PBJ: What name would you give yourself in the quilting world? Designer, teacher, quilter, tester, etc?


Becca: I am a designer. I've just released my first pattern, Meteor Watch, but be on the lookout for my next design with the working title "Sticky Candy". There are a few free tutorials for small projects on my blog, too.




Meteor Watch

PBJ: What is your favorite part of the quilting process?

Becca: I love the design phase (which sometimes includes the stretch of  time when I'm  actually PIECING  THE  QUILT), but   really  any  part  that  involves  petting fabric is okay with me.

PBJ: What is your least favorite part?

Becca:  Unless  it's perfectly  obvious  to  me  how  to  quilt  top, deciding how to quilt it is the WORST.

PBJ: What is your favorite quilty tool?

Becca: Oh, geez. So many. I'm a gadget hound, and I'm always trying new things. The  most  interesting tool  I  have  is  porcupine  quill  stiletto  that  my  aunt sent me.



Teals pulled for The Border Quilt Quilt Along


PBJ: What is your favorite color? Do you use it in your quilts? If not, what color do you find yourself using a lot? Why do you use that color the most?

Becca: My favorite  color  is  any  shade  o f blue, closely followed  by  gray.    tend to quilt  with  the  whole spectrum--lately lots of  reds  and  oranges  and pinks.

PBJ: When sewing, do you watch T.V. / movies, listen to music, have it quiet?

Becca: All  of  the  above!  It  depends  on  my  mood.  recently  put  tiny  fountain  in  the studio  to  help  drown  out  background  noise  when  the  whole  family  is  home.




PBJ: How much time do you spend quilting a day?

Becca: As  much  as  possible!  I've  spent  lot  of  time  lately  learning  about  the  design  business, so there's  been  lot  of  time  on  the  computer.  try  to  get  at  least  15  minutes  of  actual  sewing in  daily.  Frequently  end  up  in  the  studio  for  much  longer  stretches.

PBJ: If you had to choose between quilting cotton, batiks or flannels to sew with *for the rest of your life* which would you choose?Why?

Becca:  Quilting cotton--variety, variety, variety!

PBJ: You are taking a quilting cruise, who’s your teacher?

Becca: Christa  Watson,  or  whoever  carries  the  most  Dramamine.  I've  heard  Christa  is  a terrific  teacher, and  her  books  are  great. But  also  have  tendency  to  get  seasick.



Ransom Note tutorial


PBJ: Does your sewing machine have a name?

Becca: The Notorious  BQE.

PBJ:   Does your seam ripper have a name?

Becca: *#$&@)#^!!!!!!!

PBJ: When was the last time you changed your needle?

Becca: A  day  or  two  ago?  just  started  using  titanium  needles  and those suckers  really  last.

PBJ: We have a big quilt along coming up. What is your advice to any quilter new to the quilt along world?

Becca: Stay organized--label everything, and have one specific place to store everything you need. Also, if you decide ahead of time  who  you're  making  the  quilt  for,  you're  more  likely  to finish  it.


Sneak peek at Sticky Candy

Blog:


Facebook:


Instagram:



Interview Schedule

July 27 - Nancy - Masterpiece Quilting
July 30 - Vicki - My Creative Corner3
Aug 2 - Becca - Pretty Piney
Aug 6 - Kate - Seams Like A Dream
Aug 9 - Terri - Lizard Creek Quilting
Aug 13 - Joanne - Quilts By Joanne
Aug 16 - Marija - Mara Quilt Designs
Aug 20 - Alison - Little Bunny Quilts
Aug 23 - Stephanie - Quilt'n' Party
Aug 27 - Daphne - Daphne Greig
Aug 30 - Tara - The Quilt District
Sept 6 - Tracy (quilter) - Fabrics Plus
Sept 10 - Kelly (photographer) - Handmade Boy
Sept 12 - Quilt along begins!


I hope you enjoyed getting to know a little bit about Becca. If you have any questions for her, please put them in the comments, with an email address if your settings are set for no reply, and I will make sure she sees them. I hope you follow her and give her some quilty love!

Happy Stitching!
Jen




New to Patterns By Jen?

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.


The Border Quilt Quilt Along is coming September 2018

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.