Thursday, September 6, 2018

The Border Quilt Interview with Tracy

For the weeks leading up to the Quilt Along, which now starts September 12, there will be a quilty interview with bloggers participating in the quilt along. The fabric designer, quilter and the photographer of the Enchanted Forest version will be interviewed as well. You can look for a new interview every Monday and Thursday now until September 10th. Find all the information for the quilt along HERE.




So grab a cup of coffee or a glass of wine depending on the time of day in your area and lets get to know Tracy, the longarm quilter of The Border Quilt.



PBJ: Name and Business name?

Tracy: Tracy Veglahn, Fabrics Plus
(Actually, our corporate name is Jack of All Trades.  Nuff said!)

PBJ: When did you first start machine quilting?

Tracy: We purchased our first longarm in 2008, just prior to buying our quilt shop, but got really “serious” about longarming when we got our first Intelliquilter computerized system in 2010.

PBJ: Do you ever find time to quilt stuff just for fun?

Tracy: Is that a serious question?  I don’t have a single quilt in my house that I have made for myself ---   I vow to change that every year, but it never seems to happen!

PBJ: What do you enjoy most about quilting?

Tracy: I love all things creative --- color and design, using EQ to create patterns, and all the little repetitious steps too --- I find cutting and pressing to be soothing!

PBJ: What design did you use for the quilting of The Border Quilt?

Tracy: Winter Wonderland by Patricia Ritter for Urban Elementz. 




PBJ: What inspired you to choose that pattern?

Tracy: I wanted it to be light and wintery to fit with the soft colors in the quilt, but not too dense. 

PBJ: Any tips for quilting a flannel quilt?

Tracy: Lots!  Make sure that you are using top quality flannel for your project, and be sure to pre-shrink it.  Clean your machine often --- all that linty flannel makes a mess.  Be careful with the edges of the quilt, as they have a tendency to unravel, and try not to hit the bulky intersections with your needle!    As far as your design and thread choices, remember that it will tend to snuggle itself down into the fabric, so choose accordingly.

PBJ: Who taught you or inspired you to learn to quilt?

Tracy: I come from a long line of “stitchers”, and grew up with my mom making my clothes.  I learned to sew in 4-H, made all my own clothes during high school and college, and took my first quilting class when I was pregnant with my first daughter 35 years ago. 

PBJ: What is your favorite part of the quilting process?

Tracy: I most enjoy the design process, and then putting on the binding --- what a sense of accomplishment to put in those last few stitches!

PBJ: What is my least favorite part?

Tracy: Sewing on borders ---- boring!

PBJ: What is your favorite quilty tool?

Tracy: I love gadgets!  This month my “fav” is Aunt Pam's Quilt Sponge, that pulls threads and lint off your quilts, can clean off your cutting mat, and picks up all those stray threads from my sewing room floor.  I also can’t live without my Zinger, which keeps my scissors on a retractable leash clipped to my shirt!

PBJ: What is my favorite color?

Tracy: Right now, my favorite combination is aqua and lime --- love it!  Otherwise, anything black ---- I love primary colors set off with a rich black background.

PBJ: When sewing, do you watch TV/movies, listen to music, have it quiet?

Tracy: News and podcasts, please!

PBJ: How much time a day to you spend quilting a day?

Tracy: I longarm by day, and piece by night.  And there’s nothing like doing a little binding from 3-5 AM --- it’s the best part of the day!




Interview Schedule

July 27 - Nancy - Masterpiece Quilting
July 30 - Vicki - My Creative Corner3
Aug 2 - Becca - Pretty Piney
Aug 6 - Kate - Seams Like A Dream
Aug 9 - Terri - Lizard Creek Quilting
Aug 13 - Joanne - Quilts By Joanne
Aug 16 - Marija - Mara Quilt Designs
Aug 20 - Alison - Little Bunny Quilts
Aug 23 - Stephanie - Quilt'n' Party
Aug 27 - Daphne - Daphne Greig
Aug 30 - Tara - The Quilt District
Sept 3 - Hilltop Designs
Sept 6 - Tracy (quilter) - Fabrics Plus
Sept 10 - Kelly (photographer) - Handmade Boy
Sept 12 - Quilt along begins!


I hope you enjoyed getting to know a little bit about Tracy. If you have any questions for her, please put them in the comments, with an email address if your settings are set for no reply, and I will make sure she sees them. I hope you follow her and give her some quilty love!

Happy Stitching!
Jen



New to Patterns By Jen?

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.


The Border Quilt Quilt Along is coming September 2018

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.