Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Border Quilt Quilt Along - Finishing Touches

We've reached the end! Can you believe it?!




Did you make all of the Flying Geese? I think one of my favorite things about this pattern is that it there are so many places to stop along the way, but still give you a nice quilt.

If you are just finding us, you can still grab your pattern.

Printed: The Border Quilt

Etsy Digital: The Border Quilt

Craftsy Digital: The Border Quilt

Payhip Digital: The Border Quilt




For inspiration see The Border Quilt tester quilts HERE. I am using Enchanted Forest generously provided by Northcott Fabrics. These gorgeous fabrics are in shops now! They are super soft and easy to work with.

***Please note! If you are using them for the quilt along, wait to wash them until you are done with the quilt, or buy extra fabric. Flannel shrinks more than quilting cotton.***

To get direct help, as well as opinions of others who are sewing along with us, join the Facebook group: Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen.

Quilt Along Schedule

July 18 - Intro post






Nov 21 - Flying Geese

Dec 5 - Finishing touches

Finishing Touches




I always cut my binding at 2" unless I am using flannel, then I use 2 1/2" wide strips. This helps get a nicer finish even though the fabric is thicker. It also helps with hand fatigue if you are doing the stitching by hand.




I like to roll my binding up after I've pressed it to keep it under control as I stitch it to the quilt.




Use a walking foot! Even with my cotton quilts I use the walking foot. With so many layers it helps pull them all through evenly without any puckers or folds.




To help get a nice mitered corner trim that sucker down. There is enough bulk with flannel fabric, you don't need any extra to fill out the binding.  Just watch that you don't clip an important seam, or the binding. Ouch!



Whenever you stitch binding make sure your needle is nice and sharp. A dull needle can really be discouraging, can have you stitching through to the other side because you have to push so hard, and it causes hand fatigue. Get a new needle, you won't regret it!




Enjoy the soft cuddle-i-ness of your new quilt.


If you share your progress on social media please tag Patterns By Jen and /or use #theborderquiltquiltalong. I can't wait to see your pieces!!!

If you are a blogger who is sewing along please fee free to grab and use this button.



Instructions: Select all code above, copy it and paste it inside your blog post as HTML

Here are the bloggers that participated in the Interview Session. Please take a moment to follow them and see their progress. Some will be posting right away, some will be posting during the two weeks between borders.

 


Becca - Pretty Piney
Joanne - Quilts By Joanne
 Marija - Mara Quilt Designs
Stephanie - Quilt'n' Party

Thank you to Northcott Fabrics for sponsoring the quilt along with their gorgeous fabric. It was a dream to work with!


Happy Stitching!
Jen
New to Patterns By Jen?

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.


Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen...such a great pattern...you did not say anything about your quiting pattern/plan...any input for uson that? Thanks so much for this sew along!! Linda B

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.