Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Crossroads Quilt Along ~ Block 1


The first block, The House Block, is out! If you are using the kit available from The Fat Quarter Shop, you will be using these four beautiful fabrics from Strawberry Fields Revisited from Fig Tree Quilts, along with the background. Aren't they just scrumptious? I am totally in love with the strawberries on pink. Of course I am partial to green, especially this green. And then that yellow with the sweet rosebuds. I love it all!

I have to share this picture with you.


I love a selvage with a cute little something on it. The strawberries alone are adorable. The added words take you to another place. "On a sunny afternoon she skipped through the strawberry fields." I can see a little girl, dress and hair blowing in the wind, skipping through the fields. I love warm summer days.

Before cutting these out I sprayed my fabric with starch. I use Best Press, non-scented, but you can use whatever starch you like. I find, especially with Block of the Month type patterns, that starch helps keep the smaller pieces from stretching and throwing your blocks off. 

Yes, I am missing "D". I did cut them out, but somehow they didn't make it into the family photo.

You will see lots of pictures with all the pieces cut out, and labeled very prettily with letters. I know myself well enough to just stick with writing them down on scrap paper. I would lose those pretty letters in a New York Minute. "Organized" is not my middle name. So plain slips of paper it is.



I have a picture of the pieces out and ready to become these beautiful houses, but I had the chimney piece flipped and I didn't want to confuse you. Thankfully, I sewed them correctly. I did rip out the pink and yellow chimney strips, twice, to get that chimney to line up, and I am happy with how these turned out. 


I love this green!


But these strawberries!! Yum!

There is still plenty of time to join the fun! Head over to The Fat Quarter Shop blog to get all the information and to download the house pattern. Each month, on the 15th, the a new set of instructions will be posted. They just ask that you donate $5 to March of Dimes for each download. What could be better, a free pattern and helping sweet little babies? 

Happy Stitching!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.