Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Modern Batik with Island Batik

Welcome to the June challenge from Island Batik, Modern Batik.




The Blue Moon fabrics I used for this challenge were given to me by Island Batik as part of the Ambassador program.






I am not a modern quilter, in any way shape or form so I reached out to Carole Lyles Shaw. She gave me a few tips and even drew up a couple of layouts for me after she saw what I had pieced. I really appreciate that she took the time to try and help me. I don't know that I did her justice in any way, but I tried. Sigh. I am not a modern quilter. If you are a modern quilter, or want to become one, definitely check out her website.




Here is what she had to work with, I call it Mod^2.




After she gave me a few suggestions I ripped a few seams and changed the layout. I focused more on creating asymmetrical lines, because I didn't feel there was much I could change at this point. Plus, this is really as modern as I get. I'm a traditional girl at heart, in pretty much all areas of my life, breaking out of that is/was hard!




I used the yardage with the birds and more of the branches for the back. I've sent this quilt to the photographer and I know she will grab much prettier photographs for you to enjoy.




Mod^2 will be released as a digital pattern in a few weeks, so if you like this one, stick around. *grin*

Happy Stitching!
Jen

New to Patterns By Jen?

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.


The Border Quilt Quilt Along is coming August 2018

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.


7 comments:

  1. I love that you used a striped type fabric, and played with that layout. It's very different, and I think you did a good job making it modern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blues are wonderful, and that pop of purple brings modern life into the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a gorgeous quilt. I'm no modern quilter either. LOL!! You nailed it, in my books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You quilt came out just beautifully. I love that you stretched yourself to do something outside your comfort zone with the modern challenge. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great job. I am more in the middle camp, not entirely traditional not entirely modern. It is a stretch but fun to do something new. I love what you did.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.