Friday, August 2, 2019

Introducing The Border Quilt 2!

I am so excited to share with you the next quilt in the Medallion Quilt Series!




There were a few bumps along the way, but The Border Quilt 2 is finally here!




Made by adding multiple borders, this quilt lends itself to a few different quilt sizes. Stop when you are satisfied with the size.




It may not look like it, but this quilt is beginner friendly. Traditional piecing and trimming to the correct size make it easy to put together.




What were those bumps along the way you ask? The beautiful quilting done by Tracy at Fabrics Plus, did not work the first time. It ALL had to be completely ripped out. Ouch.




After weeks of ripping, it had to sit a bit before getting quilted again. When it finally came to me I had to let it sit for a bit also. Fast forward a few days and it was Mother's Day weekend. My husband decided to be really helpful and grabbed the bags marked "give away" to bring to Goodwill. Can you see where this is going?




A few days later I went looking for the bag that had my quilt in it to add the binding. You can imagine my dismay (not nearly a strong enough word) at realizing my husband had apparently grabbed the bag with the quilt in it, too.  Very calmly I called him up to verify that fear, knowing I still had a chance, because give away bags always sit in our vehicle for weeks. For the first time EVER though, he had brought the bags to Goodwill the same day he put them in the van.




This discovery was made before 8 am, I had 1 1/2 hours to wait before Goodwill opened. You can bet I was at the doors as soon as they were unlocked. They were so great trying to help me find my quilt. They tried to be encouraging when they said the truck had gone out immediately on Monday to their storage units.  When they found out it was an "unfinished" quilt however, he told me as gently as possible that it had probably gone to recycling. To say I bawled like a baby when I got back to my car is an understatement.




I drove away in tears and hadn't gone 2 blocks when I got a call. "We found it." Holy moly and artichokes people! You can't imagine the relief. I turned myself around as quickly (and legally) as I could and went back. They had indeed found it, on TOP of the recycling pile. He had talked to an employee after I left and she just happened to remember taking that quilt out the day before.


I bought extra insurance for the trip to the photographer.


Quilt Details

Blue Border Quilt 2:
Fabric: Assortment of Moda's Grunge fabrics, blues, teals and vanilla
Batting: 100% wool
Quilting: Fabrics Plus
Quilting design: Fairy Wings

Red Border Quilt 2:
Fabric: Aster Manor by 3 Sisters for Moda
Batting: 100% wool
Quilting: PBJ
Quilting Design: Free motion on my Husqvarna Lily 555





Are you ready to make your own? If you like printed patterns, order by noon CST and they will ship same day. On sale now through August 9.


I need to make a scrappy version of this one. I love the monochromatic, but I think this will be gorgeous in scrappy. What do you think?

Happy Stitching!
Jen

New to Patterns By Jen?


Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring


Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Just reading about that made my heart race. It is a gorgeous quilt! So glad karma was in your favor that day!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.