Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Pieced Backings - Using large chunks

 I have another pieced backing for you and I'm excited to share it!



I don't like to have a lot of leftover fabric hanging around my studio so pieced backings are a great way for me to use the leftovers, but sometimes there is just a chunk or two left. That's when the fun begins!



I first lay down my top, no matter what size it is, so I can make sure I'm going to give myself enough fabric around the edges. I start with one piece and decide if I'm going to use the whole thing or cut it up. You can see that I also lay it so that there is extra around the edge. Since I quilt my own, I don't have to worry too much about the required 4" around rule, but I do give myself a couple of extra inches.



Then I decide on the next fabrics to use. There is really no rhyme or reason to my choices, I like to lay fabrics out and just go by how I think it looks.



The last piece is the square I had left over from the quilt top. There isn't much left of it, but I think it adds a fun little touch to this backing. I do press before I start stitching, I promise!



Once I've decided what fabrics I'm using and how I'm laying them out, I *first* take a picture so I remember, then I press and start squaring up the fabrics.



Beautiful!



A quick look at the quilting. There is just something about a quilted back.



This backing belongs to one of the Turning Wheels quilts I made, a new pattern I released this past spring.


Have you pieced a backing for any of your quilts? What is the largest size you've pieced for? I'd love to hear your story.


Make something Extraordinary!

Jen

New to Patterns By Jen?

Don't forget to sign up for the Bites of PBJ newsletter while you are here for early releases and sales just for subscribers!



Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring

Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the pieced backings. Kinda goes with trying to be thrifty, I guess. Nice pattern the Turning Wheels.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.