Thursday, May 2, 2024

Accuracy in Quilting - Cutting

 I want to help you find more accuracy in your quilting so you can piece with confidence.




Over the next five weeks I'm going to share with you my top tips for accuracy in your quilting world. These are the same steps I use when I am making my quilts and it starts at the very beginning with your cutting.

Fabric Prep

You can't expect accuracy throughout your quilting project if your fabric is wrinkled. Press your fabric, whether it is yardage or pre-cuts. It can sometimes feel like you have better things to do, because it is exciting to start a new project and you want to get at it. Taking the time right at the beginning to prep your fabric will make the whole project run that much smoother.

Starch is your quilting accuracy's best friend. It must be done before you start cutting your pieces, because it will shrink your fabric a bit. There are many opinions on what starch to use, what starching technique to use, as well as to use steam or not with your iron. Every quilter has to find what they like the best, what works well for them. 




Here is my process:

I do not wash my fabric, not even flannel*. I use a mist bottle with water to get rid of the worst wrinkles/creases and then I use another mist bottle to starch the whole piece of yardage. I use the hottest setting on my Hamilton Beach iron without steam.

*Yes, flannel shrinks more than cotton, but if I'm using flannel for the entire quilt, then I don't worry about it.





Rotary Cutter

A sharp blade is going to make your quilting life so much easier. We've all been there, picking up our strips and having little pieces still attached. This can pull and stretch your fabric which effects your accuracy. We hate to change those blades, I get it, but it will make a difference. In my list of favorite tools I share the blades I buy in bulk that work really well for me.

Straight Edge

As important as your fabric prep is, the straight edge is the second most important step in your journey towards accurate quilting. I show you how to get the most accurate straight edge in this video:




Taking the time to get a straight edge to start your cutting will make such a difference in your overall accuracy and happiness with your work.




Rulers

When you are first starting out in your quilting journey you may be using rulers from different companies. Once you are able, switching to using rulers made from the same company will give you more accurate results. Why? Lines on rulers can be different widths, which will have you placing your ruler differently. They can also be printed differently between companies. Keeping to the same company with your rulers will make a difference.

Cutting mats

I use my mat to make that first straight edge cut, but after that I use the rulers for all cutting*. Mats, especially mats that are used a lot, can use their accuracy. Lines can get warped from the cuts. It is best to use the marks on your rulers for your measuring and cutting.

*Rulers can also get warped after awhile. The constant rub from the rotary cutter will wear away at the edge of your ruler. It takes years, but eventually you may need to replace them.

We will talk about trimming units and blocks in an upcoming post.



This is the first article in the Accuracy in Quilting Series.


Make something extraordinary!


Did you get my 5 Free Tips for Accurate Piecing yet? I would love to send it to you, sign up HERE!



New to Patterns By Jen?

 

Don't forget to sign up for the Bites of PBJ newsletter while you are here!

 

Newsletter sign up

 

2024 Monthly Color Challenge

 

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop

 

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring


Follow me on Instagram

 

Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.