Sunday, April 10, 2016

Miniature Hanging Sleeve Tutorial and a Sneak Peek





 Today I am going to share how I make my hanging sleeves. There are different ways to do it, and this in NOT the way they like them done for shows. It is, however, quick and easy, which means I'm more likely to finish it and get on the wall, or in the case, the little hanging rack. This little tutorial is for a miniature quilt.

The first thing I do is measure.


I am measuring the inside of the quilted piece, not the binding. In this case it is 9 1/2". I need to add 1/2" for seam allowance, so 10". I'm going to find a scrap piece of fabric that is 2" wide and at least 10" long.



Next I press a quarter inch seam on either end. I just eyeball this. It doesn't have to be perfect.
Close enough is good enough in this case.


Using matching thread stitch each end. As you can see, my folded piece is a little wider then the 1/4", that's ok. I'm not going to worry over it. 

When both ends are stitched. Fold your strip length wise with WRONG sides together and stitch.

(right side showing, this is correct)

I like to start about 1/8" in from the end and back stitch, and when I get to the end I like to back stitch about 1/8" away from the end before clipping. This keeps my threads from showing.



Next we are going to press that long seam open. I maneuver my hanging sleeve so that the seam is centered. 


Your hanging sleeve is done. Now it's time to add it to the back.


Making sure you are adding it to the top of the miniature, you want to place your hanging sleeve with the seam towards the backing. 


I like to start stitching along the top first. I pin to make sure the sleeve stay centered while I stitch.


I start about 1/4" from the edge of the sleeve and come up right at the corner.


I love my thimble for this and for binding. It really saves your finger. 


At the end I go straight down from the corner with the needle and come out under the sleeve to knot off.


Next I pin the bottom. I like to push it up a bit to create a little give, pinning makes sure it's the same all the way across.



When I get to the end I do a back stitch in about 1/4", tie it off and bury the knot. 


You are ready to show off your little miniature. 


This 10" miniature is available with Patterns By Jen's 6th pattern: Star Light Star Bright Sampler. Coming sometime in May.


Happy Stitching!
Jen

Linking up withPatchwork Times and Main Crush Monday over on Cooking Up Quilts

1 comment:

  1. This is AWESOME Tutorial!! Thank you sooooo much for sharing! I"m going to do this on a Wallhanging I'm making as a Christmas gift :)
    Ohio Hugs!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.