Thursday, September 21, 2017

BU Quilt Along ~ Week 2 1/2

Surprise! I'm throwing in an extra post this week.


I'm going to change the schedule up a bit and add a second week to the Flying Geese Unit. While using the No Waste Method does speed things up a bit, we have 240 total units to make. Whew! So we're going to break it up. See the revised schedule at the end of this post. Find the intro post HERE, you can always jump in.


This is my ugly piece of used cutting mat that I make my marks on. 

While I have you here, lets talk about marking the diagonal. I have said that I like to use a mechanical pencil to mark my fabrics, but what if your fabric is dark?




I have always used chalk. It's quick and easy, which, seems to be my mantra, ha, but it can be messy.  




I wanted to give other recommendations for marking tools, so I ran to my LQS (local quilt shop) and asked what they recommend. It's the Clover White Marking Pen <Fine> (no affiliation). 




Well, I'm sold. It was easy to use, but do read the instructions, the mark doesn't show up right away. Here are 3 marked one after the other, you can see the line gets darker/whiter with time. The mark will disappear with heat or water, but I'm not worried about it when using it to mark diagonals like this, because this ends up being the cutting line. Do test it on your fabrics, though, if you are marking other areas.

If you have finished your Snowball blocks, and want to get a head start, we're marking the 120 grey 2 7/8" squares on the diagonal and then making the FG units on Tuesday.

Happy Stitching!
Jen

Beginners Unite Quilt Along

September 12 - Cutting (including fussy cutting the center)
September 19 - Center block 
September 26 - Flying Geese week 1
October 3 - Flying Geese week 2
October 10 - Half Square Triangles
October 17 - Corner Units
October 24 - Block Assembly
October 31 - Top Assembly
November 7 - Add borders
November 14 - Quilting and Binding

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.