Friday, September 1, 2017

September Muggamo

September Muggamo is here!




I can't believe it's September. I can't believe I have to send my kids back to school. I'm never a fan of summer vacation ending. However, I don't get a choice, so I'm going to have my early morning coffee, Kleenex and chocolates on my nice new mug rug.

Grab the free pattern HERE.

Fabric Requirements

Black
1)    Two 3” squares
2)    Four 1 1/2” squares
a.    Mark once on the diagonal
3)    Two 1 1/4” x 7” strips

White
4)    One  3 1/2” square
5)    Two 3” squares
a.    Mark once on the diagonal
6)    One 2 x 9” strip
7)    One 1” x 7” strip

Yellow
8)    One 2 1/2” square
9)    One 2” x 9” strip
10) Four 2 1/8”  squares
a.    Mark once on the diagonal


Corner Units




We're going to make the corner units first, starting with the HST (half square triangles) using the 3" squares. See how to make them in THIS POST.




Square to 2 1/2" and then add the 1 1/2" square.




Stitch right on the line. Press out and and trim the excess.




Make four, they should measure 2 1/2" unfinished.

Middle units



Next are the units that look like arrows. FG (flying geese first); use the white 3 1/2" square and the yellow 2 1/8" squares. Our finished FG units are going to be small, so we'll make them oversized first and trim them down, for more accuracy. To see how to make FG with the no waste method go to THIS POST. Once made, trim to 1 1/2" x 2 1/2".



Next strip piece the black and white strips. 




Trim a small bit off the end for a straight edge, then sub-cut to 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles.




Match up the two units as shown and stitch. 
Press towards the FG unit.

Star block




Lay out your block.




Stitch into rows.




Stitch rows. Your block should measure 6 1/2" square.

Side Unit



Sew the yellow and white strips together length wise. Trim off a bit of the end for a straight edge, then sub-cut into 2" x 3 1/2" units.




Layout in a pattern pleasing to you and stitch.

Mug rug



Lay the star and side unit side by side. Stitch together. Quilt. Bind and Enjoy!




Confession time! I'm not a fan of this one. I like the layout in theory, but not necessarily how it came out in these colors. Ever had that happen to you? I'll have to try again later. What colors would you make it in?

Happy Stitching!
Jen

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.  Don't miss the quilt along that starts September 5th! It's not too late to grab your fabric choices. Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen group to share your choices, get updates and enjoy some quilty talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.