Friday, February 23, 2018

Pattern cover update

I decided to upgrade the back of my covers where I list fabric requirements.

Old pattern back


When I first started, my patterns were simple and small enough that I could use a "pretty" font and make them "artistic."




Unfortunately, not only did that make it harder to read (who needs to read when it can look pretty, ha) it became harder and harder to fit in all of the requirements without causing confusion.


Enter the "easier to read" (hopefully) Fabric Requirements table.

New pattern back


Not only should it be easier to read, I can add backing and binding requirements as well. Backing and binding can be personal preferences, do you like having a base to go off of for those? Let me know in the comments.

I have a few patterns left that have the old set up on the back, but with each new reprint the old is becoming new again. I'd love to hear whatyou think of the new layout.

Happy Stitching!
Jen

New to Patterns By Jen?

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.


Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.

6 comments:

  1. I like the new backs of the patterns. Normally, I don't even look at the requirements for backing and binding. I usually pick that out later. Sometimes, of course, I can't find what I need or don't have it in my stash, though, because of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Danette! I tend to wait on the backing until I'm ready to quilt it, but I like to have the binding chosen. Quilting is such a personal preference hobby, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I do usually choose the backing later (mostly because sometimes I "adjust" the pattern by adding additional or different borders), I like having the requirements listed so when I am doing a mental calculation of how much the fabric will cost me I can include that. Usually I like to bind in the outer most border color, so having that listed is a plus and I don't have to guess how much extra to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. I usually ignore backing requirements because if it's for my kids, the little snobs only want minky which is a different measurement. And I'm so used to calculating my own for the tshirt quilts, that the math isn't a big deal for me. But I don't know if I'm a rarity or not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the new back page! The grid is so very much easier to read and keep my place without having to pencil in my own lines!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.