Thursday, June 8, 2023

Bluesette from Benartex and a free precut friendly pattern

I am excited to share my Quarter 2 Ambassador project(s) with you!




My Quarter 2 project needed to use precuts. To see all the precuts I was given to use you can watch the unboxing video.




I had so much fun planning and stitching the projects I chose to do, but the quilting of one did not go as planned. My Baby Lock Coronet, Carl, was a crabby old man when I needed to quilt and finish one of the quilts, so he's been sent out for cleaning and an attitude change.




If you watched the Unboxing Video above you know I had a plethora of pre-cuts to work with. At first I was a little overwhelmed and had no idea what I would do with all this blue and white gorgeousness.




I wanted something that would be easy to use, because so many quilters have pre-cuts galore, but aren't sure how best to use them. For the Picnic Quilt I used the 10", 5" squares and the 2 1/2" strips.




If you follow me on Instagram you know we had new flooring put in. It ended up taking longer than expected, and this put be behind on my Quarter 2 project. I was worried that I wouldn't have time to quilt this top and reached out to my photographer friend. She immediately saw a picnic quilt, and so, the Bluesette Picnic Quilt was born. Find the tutorial HERE.

I still needed a backing for the Picnic quilt, and knowing this was going to be used for that purpose, I knew a pieced backing would:

1) Hide any dirt/ stains from the ground
2) Could be a pretty quilt as well if the top was dirty
3) Would use up more of the pre-cuts I had left over


Why doesn't the wind ever cooperate?


I used the 10" and 5" squares for the pieced backing and love it. For the Bluesette Pieced Backing Tutorial see THIS POST.




I love how this picnic quilt turned out.




Any good picnic will require napkins and I chose to use the last of the 10" squares for those. Picnic napkins don't have to be big, and because they are made from the exact same fabric as the picnic quilt, it can all be tossed in the washer together if needed.




A quick press and they will be ready to go again. To find the *very* simple tutorial go to THIS POST.





I made a second quilt using the pack of fat quarters.




For this quilt I chose to use a pattern I had already designed called Pinwheel Pivot. Since it's already fat quarter friendly and the quilt math was already done, I knew this would be an easy top to finish.




The top WAS easy to finish, unfortunately Carl was crabby. Sigh. Every 2 to 5 inches of quilting this happened, no matter what I did.




So I didn't get the quilting completely done. When he's back and feeling better though, I will finish quilting the Bluesette Pinwheel Pivot and use the binding that is made from more of the 2 1/2" strips and just waiting to be used.




Pinwheel Pivot is one of my favorite patterns, because it has so many options. Watch for a Bluesette table topper from Pinwheel Pivot coming soon!





***Giveaway***

Do you love these blues as much as I do? You can win a pack of 5" x 5" squares of Bluesette just by commenting below and telling me your favorite pre-cut to use.

Giveaway ends June 15, 2023.

Let's make something extraordinary!

Jen



New to Patterns By Jen?

Don't forget to sign up for the Bites of PBJ newsletter while you are here for early releases and sales just for subscribers!



Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring

Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates. 


12 comments:

  1. I like 2 1/2 strips. I print out your yearly colors. Thank you for offering the prize.dont know what url is my name is Pamela Powers psw4277@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 5" charms are awesome for quick quilts. I can use them for 9-patches and HST's or just go scrappy. They lend themselves well to combine with solids, too. Love your picnic quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite precuts is the 2 1/2” strips. I’ve made so many different quilts with them. Thanks for your tutorial, I’m going to make a picnic quilt for my son & his wife and kids. Until your tutorial , I had thought of making one. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Favorite precut? That's hard to say! I started by doing quite a few with jelly rolls, but I also like 10" squares or charm packs. I've begun to gravitate to fat quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki GrandgeorgeJune 9, 2023 at 7:19 AM

    My favorite pre cut is charms 5 x 5 . I cut my scrapes into that size for baby quilts & just have them available for other quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite precut is 5"squares. I do love jelly rolls, but the strips often warp for me. I use starch and press rather than iron, but they still ripple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite pre-cut is the 2-1/2" strip the the 5" square. So many things to make and so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use 2 1/2 inch strips the most and they are probaably my favorite precuts. I collect Jelly Rolls to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Depending upon the project. I've used jelly rolls, charm packs, layer cakes and honey buns. They honey buns work beautifully as sashing. Please don't make me decide :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m a precut kind of gal, but if I had to choose I would go with layer cakes. So many cutting options!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m a precut kind of gale, but if I had to choose I would go with a layer cake. So many cutting options.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love layer cakes. You get four times as many charm squares by cutting 2 ways and you have more pieces for a larger quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.