Thursday, April 4, 2024

Quilting Tools - Essentials

 Let's talk basic, essential quilting tools.



When you walk into a quilting or crafting store you are immediately surrounded by craft goodies. So. Many. Craft. Goodies.

It's easy to get overwhelmed and unsure of what you need to begin this amazing quilting journey. So let's dig into that.

Sewing Machines




Sewing machines are one of the first tools you will be purchasing, and whoa, talk about a plethora of choices!

What do your truly need to start this journey? A simple straight stitch. This is a stitch that gives you a straight line of stitching. All of those fancy stitches that come with new machines are just that, fancy.

Extra

Throat size. What is throat size? It's the area between the needle and the right side of the machine. This area isn't important for piecing the quilt top, but if you are thinking of quilting your own quilts, the more space in this area, the better.




Quarter Inch Guide. This is a presser foot that you can attach to your machine that helps you sew with a quarter inch seam allowance.




Walking foot. This is a presser foot for sewing through layers. I use it when attaching my binding because it feeds all of the layers through evenly and easily.

Extra, Extra

Needle threader. This is exactly what is sounds like. It threads your needle for you, very handy if you have a hard time seeing that little hole.

Knee lift. This extra is a love it or hate it extra. Some love it, some hate it. I love it. It attaches to your machine and you use your knee to press the bar and lift your presser foot. It took me some time to get used to it, and wonder why I needed this extra piece, but I do really like having that "extra hand" now. 

Iron



An iron is an essential quilting tool, and it doesn't have to be fancy.

There are so many irons out there, and it's another tool that quilters have big feelings about, but the only thing that really matters is that it gets hot. My iron is a Hamilton Beach iron that I buy at Walmart. *Note* Be sure to read the manual for what type of water you can put in your iron if you are going to use steam. It makes a difference on how long your iron will last.

Ironing board. Your everyday ironing board works just fine, there are wider boards out there, but you don't have to have them.

Extra




Spray mister. I do not use water in my iron. Instead I use a mister for both my starch and my water. It does a very nice job of spreading the liquid evenly, while not using too much, thus saving me money on starch.

Starch. I starch everything I'm piecing. It's important to remember to starch only before you cut, not after. You can make your own or buy it.

Extra, Extra

Wool pressing mat. Wool pressing mats come in a wide range of sizes. I currently have one that is 14" x 24" and I truly love it. It has more cushion than my every day ironing board and therefore gives a nice pressing area for seams. An ironing board size wool pressing mat is definitely on my list.

Cutting

A cutting mat and rotary cutter will go a long way to making your quilting journey amazing.

A self healing mat. A self healing mat is a mat that, once you've cut on it "heals" itself by closing that cut. They do eventually stop healing themselves and you will need to purchase another one, but they have long lives. You can start off small, but I do recommend at least an 18" x 36" for cutting yardage.




Rotary cutter. Rotary cutters are sharp little buggers that you need to handle with care, but are a great tool that has become pretty essential to the quilting world. This is another tool where there are so many options it's hard to choose. Ergonomically correct cutters are out there and they make a difference with wrist fatigue. If you have friends who quilt and use different rotary cutters, ask to try them so you can see if you prefer one over another.

Extra

Rotating mat. This is a mat on a "lazy susan" type base. You can use it for trimming your quilting units without having to pick up the unit and move it.

Extra, Extra

Protective gloves. I am not kidding when I say the rotary cutters are sharp. To start your quilting journey you may want to get a pair of gloves to protect your hands.

Sewing and cutting tables

I know not everyone has room or space for these items. I used to set up in our dining room and have to tear it all down for meals. I've even set up on a card table in the living room to sew on.

If you can, find a place to cut fabric that is the right height for comfort. A countertop works, or a kitchen island. If those don't work and you are at a table that is lower, make sure to take breaks and stretch your back, neck, shoulders and legs.

These are the basic essential tools to get started in quilting. Next week I'll go deeper into the essential tools of quilting. Read: the fun stuff.


You can find my list of favorite tools HERE.


This is the first article in the Quilting Tools - Essentials Series.

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4


Make something extraordinary!


Did you get my 5 Free Tips for Accurate Piecing yet? I would love to send it to you, sign up HERE!



New to Patterns By Jen?

 

Don't forget to sign up for the Bites of PBJ newsletter while you are here!

 

Newsletter sign up

 

2024 Monthly Color Challenge

 

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop

 

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring


Follow me on Instagram

 

Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.



2 comments:

  1. I'd also recommend a good quality seam ripper...As you sew, so shall you rip. And nice sharp pins. Remember some things need to be replaced periodically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! There is more coming in the next few weeks. :)

      Delete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.