Thursday, April 25, 2024

Quilting Tools - The non-essential fun stuff

 Let's get to the fun, fun stuff.




Stylus



A stylus can be used for many things in quilting. Guiding fabric under the presser foot, grabbing the thread out from under the presser foot so it doesn't cause a knot, etc. You can find simple ones, like That Purple Thang which I use, all the way to ergonomically correct stylus'.


Ruler Storage



There are many ways to store your rulers. I share a post on that HERE. As you grow in your quilting journey, you will collect rulers. In an effort to avoid buying the same ruler twice, I encourage ruler storage that shows you what you have. 😉


Pin cushions




You will need a place to hold your pins, and there are so many cute options, as well as smart options. I like to have a magnetic pin holder by my cutting mat. That way I can do some pinning of units/blocks there, but not have to worry about a stray pin getting under my rotary cutter.

At my sewing desk I have a pincushion I made with emery powder that is attached to a little scrap basket. I like having that one because I can stick pins in it as I sew and I don't have to worry about getting them into a small case. The powder helps to keep them sharp longer. You can also use walnut shells, but I found the emery powder because of nut allergies in family members.

Sewing Baskets



Sewing baskets are a great tool to have, especially if you don't have space for a seperate sewing area. It will keep all of your notions together in one place and easy to find when you are ready for your next sewing session. They make clean up a breeze as well.


Sew Steady Table




These can be made for you sewing machine in many different sizes. They fit around your machine and give you a larger sewing area. I love mine, especially when sewing blocks and rows together and when machine quilting. The added space really helps keep the fabric pulling to a minimum.

This is the last article in the Quilting Tools - Essentials series. Find the others here: 

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3


Here's my list of favorite tools.


Make something extraordinary!



Did you get my 5 Free Tips for Accurate Piecing yet? I would love to send it to you, sign up HERE!



New to Patterns By Jen?

 

Don't forget to sign up for the Bites of PBJ newsletter while you are here!

 

Newsletter sign up

 

2024 Monthly Color Challenge

 

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop

 

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring


Follow me on Instagram

 

Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.