Thursday, July 25, 2024

Finding Time to Quilt

If there is one thing we know it's that quilting takes time, but so does everything else we have to do. 



How can we find time to do this craft we love when there are so many other things pulling at our time? It's important to remember that even the shortest bits add up. One thing I have noticed is that even a short time spent setting up my space for my next sewing session makes me feel better. There is a definite release of dopamine. 

So how do we fit in these miniscule bits of sewing time until we can get a good sewing session in? I have a few ideas.




Prioritize your projects. Knowing what you need to work on will help you figure out what you can do in small snippets. Can you press the fabric one night after the kids go to bed? Is there time during day that you can squeeze in some fabric cutting time? I like to sew up a bunch of Half Square Triangle (HST) units, or Flying Geese (FG), etc and then have a batch ready to trim if I have some unexpected "free" time. Or they are ready to go for the next quilting time. Taking time to plan your project can really help you find small open moments to make progress.

Use Pre-cuts. Sometimes using pre-cut squares can help you move forward in your sewing faster. By not having to cut yards of fabric you can start right in on the stitching part when you are ready to sew.

Join a guild or quiting group. Many guilds have group sewing times. It can help to make the plan to be there for that time and have no distractions to pull you away from your designated time.

Designate a quilting time. Is there time in your week that you can block out as your quilting time? Put that on your calendar, let your family and friends no that you are unavailable at that time and *turn off distractions.* Leave your phone in another room, or silence it and stay away from it.

Delegate household tasks and/or automate them. Is it time for someone else to do dishes? Can members of the household do their own laundry? Start using your crock pot more often for meals. I *love* my robot vacuum. What areas can you let go of and let others take care of?




Dedicated quilting space. I know this is not possible for everyone. For many years I sewed on the dining room table or card table in the living room. In one house I used the breakfast nook, and it was a nook, not a room. Is there a corner in the living room you can make your own? Maybe in your bedroom? If not, take some time, when you are planning out your project, to organize a place for that project and all of the things you will need for it. For example, if you are making a baby quilt using packs of 5" pre-cuts. Have the pattern (print it if you bought a PDF), fabrics (including backing and binding if you have it), batting, thread rulers, rotary cutters, pins, bobbins, etc all in one tote. That way you don't have to spend time gathering your supplies every time you are ready to craft.

Speaking of bobbins. I do all my piecing with grey polyester Gutermann thread. This makes it super easy to wind a ton of bobbins and have them ready for big sewing sessions. It may seem like stopping to refill a bobbin is nothing, but it stops your progress and can make for a great time for distractions to come in.



Tools. Another reminder to keep your quiting tools in good shape. Taking the time to make sure you quilting tools are clean, sharp and in good repair saves you so much time in the end. Don't let this little thing throw a wrench into your quilting time. Change the rotary cutter blade, change the sewing machine needle, clean your machine. Respecting the tools means less chance of having to stop because of an issue.

10 mins a day adds up to 60+ hours in a year. Every little bit of time adds up. I hope these tips help you find those bits.

Go make something extraordinary.




Did you get my 5 Free Tips for Accurate Piecing yet? I would love to send it to you, sign up HERE!


New to Patterns By Jen?

 

Don't forget to sign up for the Bites of PBJ newsletter while you are here for early releases and sales just for subscribers!

 

Newsletter sign up

 

2024 Monthly Color Challenge

 

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.

 

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring

 

Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.