Thursday, July 11, 2024

Safety in Quilting

 Today's post is just a gentle reminder to be careful while enjoying your favorite craft.




There is nothing like the feeling of a great sewing session. I know I'm getting my sew on when I can turn on the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and pull out my project. What I don't want to happen is an accident that makes me stop. Let's take a moment to make sure our spaces are safe and won't interrupt our time.

Rotary Cutter It's always all about the rotary cutter, isn't it? For good reason, that blade is so sharp you won't even feel it cut you until it's too late. I have a nice scar on the side of my arm to prove it. I wasn't being careful and reached over to cut something at an awkward position. Don't be me friends. Pay attention to where the blade is and always, always close  and lock it between cuts. If you ever notice me not locking my blade after each cut in my how to videos, please call me out.




Sharp Tools There are other sharp hazards in our spaces besides the rotary cutter. Pins, needles, scissors are all objects to be aware of. Put them away when done and dispose of them properly when needed. You can buy a small Sharps container at any pharmacy and use it to keep you, your family members and pets safe. Keep these tools sharp so you don't need to press/push harder in order to use them, this will keep from accidental slips. When they are dull, put them in your Sharps container.

Lighting If you can't see you can't quilt safely. Bring in extra lamps if your ceiling light isn't bright enough. This helps keep you safe, but also keeps your eyes from having to strain. Our eyes are precious.

Irons Whether you use steam or not, irons can burn. Be aware of where it is set up, let the fabric cool before picking up and *unplug* when you are done. I choose to use an iron that turns off automatically because I have cats who don't respect my space.




Electrical Cords Many of us have extension cords in our spaces, and if you are lucky enough not to need them, cords to our machines, iron, lighting, etc are still all over. Secure these cords and make sure you aren't in danger of tripping over them. If you are using extension cords read the packaging to make sure you aren't overloading it and causing a fire risk.

Take breaks Step away from the sewing machine. You heard me. 😀 I have to say this to myself, too. It's so very important to get up and move, stretch, drink some water, get the blood flowing through your legs. It's hard for me to stop when I'm in the flow, but staying loose and hydrated means I can go longer.

Clean your machine Cleaning your machine isn't just for the health of it. Routinely cleaning it and changing the needle also helps to keep you safe. Be mindful while stitching as well. Keep your fingers out of the way, don't sew over pins, don't force the fabric through, use the correct needle for the fabric you are stitching.




Rugs Choose non-slip rugs for your area. I use thick anti fatigue mats at my cutting station and mid-arm quilting machine, as well as my standing desk set up. They are non-slip and help with the sessions of long standing. This doesn't mean I skip the pausing and stretching/moving sessions, those are still important.

Take the time to set up a safe space, take care of your tools and take care of your body and you will enjoy each quilting session.

Click here for the page of my favorite quilting tools.

Let's make something Extraordinary!

 



Did you get my 5 Free Tips for Accurate Piecing yet? I would love to send it to you, sign up HERE!

New to Patterns By Jen?

 

Don't forget to sign up for the Bites of PBJ newsletter while you are here for early releases and sales just for subscribers!

 

Newsletter sign up

 

2024 Monthly Color Challenge

 

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.

 

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring

 

Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.