Monday, July 6, 2015

Picked By Jen

Every now and then I will be posting "Picked By Jen". See my play on PBJ? Yep, I think I'm pretty clever. ;)  I would love to make it a weekly or biweekly thing, but we will see. "Picked By Jen" will feature a tutorial that I have found, tried and love. I will post the link so you can try them yourselves and enjoy the plethora of talent that fills the internet.

The first Picked By Jen is (insert drumroll)...

The The Microwave Bowl Cozy with tutorial from Lisa Lewis Koster at True Hope and a Future. This is my favorite tutorial for this fun project. It explains things so well and is easy to follow.




What? You don't have pink and purple flamingos in your kitchen?
Well, neither do I, but someday...



How about cats?

This is one thing I love about these, you can make them personal for whoever you are giving them to. I have made some with chickens, apples, and kitchen utensils. The choices are endless. 




Two fat quarters will give you two 10" bowl cozies.
  

**Please make sure you use 100% cotton fabric, batting and thread, because anything synthetic could burn in the microwave.

This is a great chance to use those fancy stitches on your machine if you have them. I need to branch out in this area, but for now I do the trusty back and forth "wave". 


I really like her suggestion to use the first piece as a pattern and save time by not having to draw all of those lines. 


One thing I recommend is using your walking foot. This is a lot of layers for my machine to stitch through, and I had more luck with the walking foot. 




I gave these as teacher gifts at Christmas this year. They are simple to put together, but extremely useful. The teachers loved them.


Enjoy making these and enjoy no more burned fingers when warming things up in the microwave!




Happy Stitching!
Jen

















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.