Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Broken Panes Quilt Along - Quilting

We've reached the quilting part of our quilt along. Are you ready?




Who is nervous?! I'm not going to lie, every time I get set up at my machine to start quilting I have to do a little pep talk to get myself started. There's something so permanent about "quilting." Don't let those thoughts stop you though, even the quilting isn't permanent if you don't like it. That's what the handy seam rippers are for!




I've chosen a gorgeous teal for my quilting, which makes me even more nervous, because it's not a white that will blend in. It's the perfect shade though, so I'm going to go for it. 




I'm matching my bobbin thread to my top thread this time around. If I'm doing free motion quilting, with the free motion foot, I tend to match my bobbin thread with my top thread, in case the tension isn't quite right, With a walking foot I usually match the backing. Whatever color you decide to use, wind a bunch of bobbins so you can quickly put in a new one when you run out.




When starting my quilting with a free motion foot I I bring the needle down, then up, one time to catch the bobbin thread. I pull that thread to the top and when I'm done quilting I will knot those threads and bury them in the quilt.

To start the quilting with the walking foot I take a few stitches right in place, then bump up my stitch length to .5 to take just a few small stitches before going to my regular stitch length. In my case that is a 2.5.




Here is the design I quilted, simple loopy circles. You can seem my stitches aren't exactly even, some not even close, and my circles aren't very circular. I am far from a perfect quilter, but I keep trying. :)

One thing I try to do is pick a design where I don't have a lot of stopping and starting. The less threads I need to bury in the end the happier I am.




If a thread breaks, or I run out of bobbin thread, I simply start about 1/2" over the stitching already done, repeat with pulling the bobbin thread to the top, and then continue quilting as before.

Next we will go over finishing touches, which will include the binding and adding a label. There is no rush or pressure! I hope to do a little share starting Aug 13th, but I don't want anyone to feel like their quilt has to be completed by then. I want you to take your time and go slow.

Next up: Binding!!

Still need the pattern?

Etsy Printed

Etsy Digital

Payhip Digital


Sign up for email reminders

Schedule and supply list

Share in Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook Group

Use #brokenpanesquiltalong on social media.

Next week we will go over strip piecing, sub-cutting, and how to plan for directional fabrics.

Happy Stitching!
Jen




New to Patterns By Jen?


Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring



Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates. 




1 comment:

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.