Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Against the Grain Quilt Along - Signature Blocks

 We're moving right into the stitching part of our Quilt Along.



The next two weeks you get to work on your Signature Blocks and bonus HST units if you choose.


During our Fabric Cutting session we also marked the diagonal line on the squares we will be using for the corners of our Signature Blocks.




If you are making the bonus HST units, you should have also marked a second line 1/2" inch from the first. The Quilter's Magic Wand® is a great tool for marking both of those lines. I did a (really) quick block post on how to use the Quilter's Magic Wand® HERE.



Once your lines are marked it's time to sew. I like to stitch right next to the drawn line instead of on the line. Later, when I press that triangle over it will match up better, instead of hanging too far over or not far enough.



If you are making the bonus HST units keep your chain pieced blocks together and stitch next to the second drawn line.


Here is a YouTube video that shows how I chain piece my Signature Blocks and bonus HST units.




Once you're done sewing simply cut 1/4" from the stitches and press. Repeat on the opposite corner and you are done with this step of the Against the Grain Quilt Along.



Making the Bonus HST units? Press toward the background fabric and then trim to 1 1/2" square. I'll have a bonus pattern for you at the end of the Quilt Along!

Make something Extraordinary!

Jen

New to Patterns By Jen?

Don't forget to sign up for the Bites of PBJ newsletter while you are here!




Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring

Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.