Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Broken Panes Quilt Along - Block Assembly

Time to put our blocks together!




The great thing about big block quilts is how quickly they go together. First we're going to follow the instructions in the pattern for sewing our sub-cut units. Make sure you note the direction of the color blocks.




These strips need to match up with the units they are being sewn to, so unlike when we sewed the strips together for strip piecing, I suggest pinning the ends so one doesn't get pulled shorter or longer than the other.




Chain piecing works well here.




I keep my chained pieced units connected when I bring them to my ironing board.




I run the iron over to set my seams, then start pressing each one in the direction required in the instructions.




Once they are all pressed, then I cut the thread holding them all together.




Once the units are sewn together, lay out your block. Take a minute to make sure you have them lined up correctly. Each block is laid out the same, so I just lay one on top of another and sew them all the same. While this can be quicker, if you don't make sure that each one is placed correctly you could end up ripping seams. If you're good like me, you'll rip the same seam THREE times. Oy!




I like to sew row by row. For Broken Panes I sew Row 1, Units 1 - 2 and then Units 3 - 4. Press following the pressing arrows.




Then I stitch the Units 2 and 3 together for each row. Press. Then I sew rows together for a great block. Follow the sewing and pressing directions.




You should now have four, six, nine or twelve blocks, dependent on the size you are making.

Next week we are piecing our top! Just like that, easy peasy.

Still need the pattern?

Etsy Printed

Etsy Digital

Payhip Digital


Sign up for email reminders

Schedule and supply list

Share in Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook Group

Use #brokenpanesquiltalong on social media.

Next week we will go over strip piecing, sub-cutting, and how to plan for directional fabrics.

Happy Stitching!
Jen




New to Patterns By Jen?


Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring



Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates. 

1 comment:

  1. I never thought to leave the chain pieced units together until after pressing. Guess it's time to start thinking about a quilting plan. I can't believe how quickly this pieces together.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.