Monday, December 3, 2018

Introducing the 2019 Monthly Color Challenge

Welcome to the 2019 Monthly Color Challenge!




If you are joining again after the 2018 Monthly Color Challenge: Welcome back and thank you for sticking around! If you're new, this is the post for you!

We have some changes this year that I will go over, but some things will remain them same, like you get the color list now, but the blocks are a secret.




2019 Monthly Colors

Quilt Setting

Uh oh! You may have to do a little digging to figure out those colors, though some are very common. I look forward to hearing which flowers you know on the list and which ones you have to look up. Let me know in the comments!




The goal of the challenge is to use your stash.  You may have to dig, but if you can't find something you shouldn't need more than a FQ. The only exception is December where you need a few longer strips, although going scrappy takes care of that problem. Needed squares go from 3" up to 7 5/8" and their are some strips that are over 10."

This year there is only one block size offered: 12" finished. The blocks will be available free for the month, then will be available for a small fee after that month has passed. A setting will be shared (also free for a month) in December and there will be a last post in January to share your finished quilts.




I am not doing monthly prizes this time, but will continue to have the link up at the end of the month for those who want to share their blocks.

We have bloggers joining us throughout the year to help encourage you. Each post will have a link to the bloggers joining that month. I hope you take a little extra time to visit each one and let them know they are awesome!

Supplies

What do you need for the Monthly Color Challenge?

Pretty fabrics in a rainbow of colors, scraps are awesome! All the usual sewing supplies; cutting mat, rotary cutter, thread, sewing machine and rulers.

There are a few specialty rulers that I use that I highly recommend, but are not required.

Tucker Trimmer - this is great for trimming Half Square Triangles, Hourglass units and the pieced squares we will be making.

Wing Clipper - this is the ruler I use for all of the Flying Geese units I make. I love it!

Square Squared - this makes trim Square in a Square blocks easy peasy!

Find all of these rulers HERE.


I'm a beginner, should I join?

Yes, yes and yes!! These blocks are designed to be beginner friendly and are the perfect starting point. If you are worried about being able to make the blocks there are a few links I recommend. The first is Beginners Unite! You will find multiple posts all for beginners. The posts that will be most helpful for the blocks we are making are:

That crazy scant 1/4" seam allowance

HST

Flying Geese

Strip Piecing


If you haven't yet make sure you join Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen on Facebook. It's a great place to ask questions and receive help.



When do we start?

The Monthly Color challenge begins January 1st and continues throughout the year on the 1st of each month. The link up for your finished blocks will be the last 7 days of the month. That's a whole month to make one block! Come back here on the first of each month to see the block and get the instructions and then visit the bloggers who have joined the blog hop to see their versions.

What do we get?

This year I decided not to do prizes. There are a few reasons why, and I know it can be disappointing. So. What do you get for finishing each block each month? Well, a quilt for starters. Encouragement and cheering from your fellow quilters at the end of the month. You get to use up some of those scraps you may or may not be hiding.




So who's ready to start the new year and a new Color Challenge?! I know I am, and I hope you will join us. I really enjoyed putting these blocks together and prepping for another year of color.

To get the block sent directly to your inbox join the EMAIL LIST.

Happy Stitching!
Jen


Joining the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge from Muppin.com


New to Patterns By Jen?

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.

Join the 2019 Monthly Color Challenge coming soon!

The Border Quilt Quilt Along is coming September 2018

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.



16 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to it! Thanks. Love the flower theme. MelvaLovesScraps at NolanQualityCustoms dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so in! I'll send the email. Had a blast with the 2018 color challenge.
    Is that first image the January color? If so, it is GORGEOUS!
    No biggie on prizes, I am sure it can get to be a hassle working with vendors.
    Now if I hold my feet to the fire and do all the blocks you showcase, I will have a flimsy nearly done by the end of next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flower color clues. Looking forward to joining in on the fun. Thank you for hosting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally in! I had such fun looking up the flowers on pinterest and creating an inspiration board! Lots of room for interpretation and you can't go wrong with any color choices!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm new to your site and look forward to this! I have been watching the 2018 challenge among bloggers for a few months and am ready to start this in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do I join? I don’t see a link-up or way to ensure I am joined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign up for Jen's emails, and join the Facebook group. New blocks get posted here on blog first of the month.
      Welcome

      Delete
  7. I was looking for another BOM challenge, and I discovered yours. Looking forward to this, especially doing some more stash busting. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't see any way on this site to follow your blog. Do you have a way to follow via email? That is how I follow other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a link, above in the post for email list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen. I cant seem to be able to get the June monthly colour challenge up at the moment. Is it ready. Thanks for the great sew along. Regards, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, here is the direct link to the June post, and I have updated this page to link to the June post as well. Let me know if I can help with anything else!

      https://patternsbyjen.blogspot.com/2019/06/june-color-challenge-orange.html

      Delete
  11. sud not get the July 2019 color challenge ock yet

    ReplyDelete
  12. sud not get the July 2019 color challenge ock yet

    ReplyDelete
  13. sud not get the July 2019 color challenge ock yet

    ReplyDelete
  14. found my pattern . accidentally put in trash

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.