Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Broken Panes Quilt Along - Thread and bobbins

It's our last step in the quilt along prepping phase.




The last thing I want you to do is get your thread ready. I like to use a grey for all of my piecing. It's a nice nuetral color that is easy to see on dark and light fabric both. This is important if you have an opportunity for ripping out stitches. Those moments happen frequently for me and grey is the best choice for me.




I piece with Gutermann polyester, mostly because it is readily available at my LQS (local quilt shop), and have not had any issues with it after years of use in my quilts. I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but use what you like and what works for you. I'm sharing what I use, but many quilters only piece with cotton. Or just Aurifil, or Coats. I just want you to use what you want and have available to you.

Once you've decided on your thread, start winding bobbins.  I keep twelve bobbins filled for piecing. Once I go through all twelve I stop and rewind. I hate when I'm in a piecing groove and I have to stop to wind a bobbin. The more wound bobbins I have, the happier I am!

Many quilters use all kinds of colors for piecing, even using mismatched bobbins and spools, so that they can use every last bit. I have no problem with that, my only word of caution would be to try not to mix up polyester and cotton. Tension problems are not something we want to have in the middle of our piecing.

That's it! We're ready for the first week in our Broken Panes Quilt Along! Make sure you have the pattern and your fabric prepped and we will meet back here June 4th!


Find the pattern





Helpful Links




Happy Stitching!
Jen

New to Patterns By Jen?


Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.

Find fun PBJ merchandise at Teespring


Join the Quilt and Learn with Patterns By Jen Facebook page.

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates. 

1 comment:

  1. I, too, wind a bunch of bobbins at once. Makes life so much easier.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.